TEL 01923 233 477...|...FAX 01923 235 565

Long Residency

Highly Skilled Migrants Programme

Sports People and Entertainers Work Permits

Domestic Workers

EEA Nationals
and their Families

Family Members - Civil Partners

Graduate Employment Schemes

Medical Training Initiatives


Retired Person of Independent Means


UK Ancestry

Working Holiday
Maker Visa



Immigration Service for Students

Students - or prospective students - may apply to stay for the length of their course and possibly after its completion. You may be able to work, and your family may be able to join you.

The United Kingdom is keen to encourage overseas students to study here. The studies must be at a college that has been recognised or approved, and the student must be able to show that there will be money to pay college fees and to live on for the whole of the course. Students will usually be given permission to stay for the whole of the course, however long it may last, and may be allowed to go on to do further studies later. Unless you come only for a short course, you will usually be allowed to take part-time work, outside your hours of study. It is possible to come to the United Kingdom without having a place already arranged on a course.

There are also schemes for Working Holiday Makers, Graduate Employment Schemes, and Training and Work Experience permits.

All students need to hold entry clearance, or visas, before they come here. If you have not finalised the arrangements for your course you can be given a short visa as a 'prospective student', and switch to stay on after you arrive. ARKrights solicitors can help both with advice on applications from overseas and with applications to stay on as a student, made to the Home Office in the United Kingdom.

There are detailed rules for students who need to re-take exams, or stay on to present theses, and special rules for nursing and medical students. The spouse or civil partner of overseas students, and their children under the age of 18, will often be allowed to stay with the student, and if the student is allowed to work here the husband or wife will normally also be able to work. Students normally need to show they intend to leave the United Kingdom at the end of their period of studies, but it is possible for students at university graduate or post-graduate level to stay on here for employment, if you studied in Scotland, if they meet the requirements of the work permit scheme, or depending on the nature of your degree course.

"Welcome to ARKrights Solicitors, leaders in all aspects of commercial and civil litigation, with our offices in Watford Hertfordshire."

Do you need legal advice?, why not call ARKrights today for FREE?

0800 634 3325

Or click here to read some selected cases.


Documents and guides for download from our website.

Download a range of legal and resource files in both PDF and Word formats...




ARKrights Solicitors. All rights reserved. | Site Map