TEL 01923 233 477...|...FAX 01923 235 565

Long Residency

Highly Skilled Migrants Programme

Sports People and Entertainers Work Permits

Domestic Workers

EEA Nationals
and their Families

Family Members - Civil Partners

Graduate Employment Schemes

Medical Training Initiatives


Retired Person of Independent Means


UK Ancestry

Working Holiday
Maker Visa



Highly Skilled Migrants Programme

Workers with skills that are in demand are able to come to this country, and a points system is used to calculate whether you qualify.

If you can show you have skills that may be useful to the British economy you may be able to come to the UK without needing to prove you have a job to go to, or that you have money to invest. Your skills may be enough on their own.

 The scheme relies on a system of points for four different requirements, and you will need to score at least 75. Points are awarded for your educational qualifications as well as your work experience. You will also be assessed on how much you have been earning, and the amounts vary depending on which country you are coming from. In order to qualify for HSMP, you must also have a good knowledge of English. Normally you will be required to show that your level of English is equivalent to IELTS band 6.

Applicants who are under 32 will be given extra points, to allow for the fact that they will not have been working for as long. Special arrangements are made for doctors to work as general practitioners.

You will need to produce suitable evidence of each of the requirements. You will also need to show you can support yourself and any family members coming with you, without needing to claim social security payments.

If you are already in the UK you may be allowed to stay under this category if you meet the rules, but not if you have entered as a visitor. In that case you would need to leave the UK to apply for a visa to return.

You will usually be given permission to stay for up to 24 months to begin with, and can apply after that to stay for another three years, if you still meet the requirements. At the end of five years you can apply to stay here permanently. It is not usually necessary to show you have spent the whole five years with permission under this category. You can often count periods here under other categories as well, if you were already in the UK when you applied.

If you are married, or living with someone in a similar relationship, your partner should be able to stay with you, and will be allowed to work. Any skills he or she has can be assessed and may increase the points you score under the scheme. Any children you have should also be able to stay with you. These family members can be given permanent stay (indefinite leave to remain) at the same time as you. 





"Welcome to ARKrights Solicitors, leaders in all aspects of commercial and civil litigation, with our offices in Watford Hertfordshire."

Do you need legal advice?, why not call ARKrights today for FREE?

0800 634 3325

Or click here to read some selected cases.


Documents and guides for download from our website.

Download a range of legal and resource files in both PDF and Word formats...




ARKrights Solicitors. All rights reserved. | Site Map